Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Beach recap

Ok so vacation was restful. Probably the most rest I have had in years. I want to give a quick recap of our trip, for those who care or don't care but are addicted to reading blogs...like me.
So as long as I can remember my family has taken the annual "Weldon Family Beach Trip". And for those who know us you know that the trip never consisted of just the Weldon family. Because once you have five children....you never just have five... there have always been boyfriends/girlfriends, best friends, random friends who have happened along the way etc. But that is what makes our trips so memorable. I could tell you at least a hundred stories of beach memories..but I will save those for request only. SO back to this year. I remember clearly our trip in 2007. My dad had been on chemo for a year, he was finishing up the last of his treatment and he seriously felt like pure garbage. Beau and I had just become engaged after 4 years of dating, Josh and Lindsay were there and beginning to talk about marriage, it was just busy in life. We were all so tired from taking care of the business, my dad and all the other things that fall by the waste side when someone in your family is sick. I remember talking to my mom about " next year Beau and I will be married when we come to the beach with ya'll" In a way it seemed like forever away!
So the point of the recap is to say that it was so much fun being at the beach with my ENTIRE family! Especially my husband!! Beau and I have gone on many beach trips together but I will say I really felt like this trip was the BEST!! The beach was Empty!! I am talking about NO one being there!! It reminded me of the days back in the early 1990's when no one went to Orange Beach. It was awesome!! We had such a great time. The weather was perfect. It wasn't too hot, there was a nice breeze it was overcast several days, it rained none stop one day... but overall it was perfect. We got just enough sun, some got too much and stayed in the last day we were there. But Beau and I were in heaven. I took lots of pictures and I will post those very soon. It was just a blast having all ten of us under one roof. We played Baggo (or corn hole for some) like it was going out of style. Yep, I played it... I will admit it. AND for those who don't know.... I am NOT a game player type gal. My parents even played. It was really fun. We also played lots of Wii. Well I watched while others played. It is so funny to watch others play! Then each night we cooked, and all gathered in front of the tv to watch the US in Beijing. Michael Phelps ruled our week.... and Beau became SOOO inspired. He raced everyone in the family for most of the week. He loves a competition! And given that he has the height thing going for him, he is a pretty fast swimmer. He is so funny. Beau and the Tyler's (my brother and Syd's BF) entertained the family with their Olympic style entry into the poolside with goggles they found at the lost and found box, a beach ball and a hot pink tube that Beau squeezed into. It was hilarious!! Taylor had the Auburn Fight song on the i-pod and we played it for their entry... as we all sang along! It was great. Tyler had to leave on Friday which made us all pretty sad but we were so happy he got to come on the trip at all. Overall the week was full of rest, laughter, tears and the pure joy of our family being together and just relaxing after a couple of crazy years. It WAS definitely a beach trip that will not be forgotten. OH and also, to make the week even better... for my entire childhood/teenage years our family went to the beach with some our dearest friends the Dowe family. The Dowe family which consists of Edmond, Linda, Meagan, and Bricy are from Montgomery. They own Rebel Pest Control. Almost all of my beach memories include them. They are sooo special to us. As we got older we were not at the beach at the same time but we remained close to them... keeping up with the latest in their lives. Last August Mr. Edmond was diagnosed with Colon Cancer and went through a surgery very similar to the one my dad had five years ago. It broke our hearts. But unfortunately Mr. Edmond has had cancer appear in several other areas and has had one hell of a year dealing with all that goes along with cancer. So the point being... the Dowe girls were at the beach with some friends and went to dinner with our family on Thursday night. It was so wonderful seeing them!! It was like old times.... we just wish Edmond and Linda could have been there too! Please keep their family in your prayers as Edmond has just started taking some really strong medicine with some terrible side effects because several of the spots on his liver have grown a little. Ok so I will try to post pictures of our trip before the end of the week. God Bless you friends!

-Whitney

1 comment:

H2's Mommy said...

Whit-I'm so glad that you all had a fun and refreshing trip...sounds like it was much needed! Can't wait to see pictures!