Monday, March 9, 2009

Spring has Sprung...

And so has my waistline. No really, it has happened. That day my mom kept warning me about ( the one where you wake up and literally Nothing fits anymore...) I have a list a mile long from my week last week where I had a bad outfit day over and over again. BUT, that is ok. I was able to wear my pre-pregnant jeans and favorite gap pants until 18 wks...so I guess I'm doing ok. Luckily, I had bought one pair of maternity jeans that aren't that bad and are SO comfy after all. I am just paranoid about my shirt being long enough so the "stretchy waist part" doesn't show- it literally makes me feel like I am walking around naked when that part shows...don't ask why. It's weird I know.
So in light of my recent woes I thought I would share a glimpse into recent shopping trips...that turned into NOT so productive.

Incident # 1:
I woke last Wednesday and tried on my one pair of regular blue jeans that up until that day were my faithful fits! This particular morning they were feeling awfully snug, but I decided I would wear them anyway. I also really wanted to wear a cute long sleeve black shirt that Beau gave me for Christmas, I do not have a black maternity tank top so I thought, well I could just wear a regular black tank underneath no big deal. It was also still a little crisp out so I decided to wear my black clogs. Sounds decent...right? Fast forward one hour later- we are making our daily drive and I realize my pants are feeling quite tight. Like uncomfortable. BUT I thought I would just unbutton the top button and I would be fine. So fast forward 30 minutes. I am now at work and realizing that every move I make I have to tug at my tank and top to keep them down- this is a must considering my top button will NOT button... I begin feeling miserable and decide I would go purchase a black maternity tank top when I went to the post office. Good plan....
So all goes as planned. I go to the post office, stop by Target pick up a black maternity tank top out of the maternity section, and spot a super cute maternity dress they just happen to have in my size. I am in and out of there in 10 minutes top!
So I get back to my office, change tanks and all of the sudden feel as if I am being suffocated. This tank was longer, yes, but Tighter than the one I had on. HOW COULD THIS BE??? I knew I had 2 of these exact tank tops at home just a different color. OMG did I gain like 15 pds over night?? What is going on? In the meantime, I realize that my cute clogs make me feel like my pants are about 4 inches off of the ground. I have Floods. Pet Peeve!! I cannot ever remember being so self-conscious in all of my life. The only thing that kept coming to mind was "fat guy in a little coat" from Tommy Boy. I was miserable!! Then to top it off I had to go to a meeting on the way home. Embarrassing. OK so after feeling totally crappy about myself, we finally got home, I peeled the tank top off to reveal....some really mean person put a 'regular' tank top in the maternity tank top section!!! HOW CRUEL!! They obviously have never been pregnant or they would NOT have done that!! What a jerk! hahaha.... it is funny now but not so much at the time. By the way...to top it off the cute dress that was "my size" is apparently NOT "my size" anymore. I could not even pull down over the the top half of my chest. SO that was just the icing on the cake. Oh well. Good news is I finally exchanged it today for the correct size and I tried it on before I left the store!

Round 2:
After my debacle on Wednesday... I decided that it would be a good idea for Beau and I to try to find me some more pants because one pair of jeans is not cutting it. I had heard that JCPenney carried maternity clothes. So there just happens to be a JCPenney on our way home so I thought we could give it a try who knows maybe they would have something that would fit me. So we go in, finally find the maternity section which consists of maybe 3 racks of clothes. We find some khakis and some other cute brown pants and I find what I thought would be my size yet again. Although in this case it was the smallest they had- they were not really sized based on regular sizes, rather they were small, med., large etc. So I grabbed a couple of pair and made it to the dressing room. I tried on the first pair only to be thoroughly disgusted... they were huge!! Not really that big in the stomach area but in the crotch (which I would not be lying if I said it was almost to my knees!) but in the hips, butt, etc. I leave the dressing room to find Beau to show him that is NOT how they should fit, obviously. In the meantime this sweet lady walks up to offer her advice which goes a little like this:

lady: "oh honey, you need a smaller pair"

me: "yeah, probably"

Beau:" they don't come any smaller"

lady:"well, honey you are going to get A LOT Bigger, I'm talking about A LOT bigger, I mean A LOT"

me: " well, I am not sure, ma'am I am half way through my pregnancy- I realize my actually belly well get bigger but as far as my thighs, butt, length of legs etc. I am just not so sure how big I will be getting"

lady: "well you know what you could do is cut a little whole in the waste and string a shoe string in there, you know just a white shoe string, and then just tie it in a bow to hold them up"

beau: "quietly exits area, calls my sisters and begins laughing hysterically"

me: "well thank you so much for your advice, I think I will keep looking, probably get my mom to make me some pants"

lady: " you should go over to the misses area or petites and get some pants with elastic in the waist."

me:" thanks again" ( thinking I am 25 not 75, I am NOT going to do that, thank goodness I work where it doesn't really matter what I wear so if I need to wear jeans everyday I can!)

We have had several other incidents but I will spare you the details... OH well. I have my mom working on some custom pants for me, and I know that is where I should have turned from the beginning!

In other news, I have a doctor's appt tomorrow morning which is my official ultrasound to reveal the baby's sex and check him all out, take measurements etc. I am really looking forward to seeing him again and getting a little video for our families to see toO!! I will update you on the verdict (well hopefully, the only verdict I will be announcing is that is still a boy! haha and that all his measurements are looking good!)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

whitney i am sure you look super cute with your little belly. It always amazes me what people think they can say to a pregnant woman!! hope things are going well. can't wait to hear about the ultrasound!

H2's Mommy said...

I want to see some pictures of your cute belly! Hope your appt goes good tomorrow.

Courtney Higdon said...

I am sure you could wear a bag over your head you would look great! Probably one of the cutest pregnant people ever! It was kinda funny though :)

Courtney Higdon said...

Oh, and I would really like to see pictures of your cute belly also...Good luck tomorrow!

Angie Davis said...

hilarious.

I'm sure this is the first and only time in your life that you have had incidents of ANYTHING being too small!

As far as maternity clothes....yeah, good luck with that! nothing ever fit me, and i am much bigger than you! especially pants. my maternity pants ended up being regular pants, a size bigger than i normally wear towards the end, with a "bella band" (if you haven't heard of it let me know if you want one). glad you have your mom!

Anonymous said...

I want to see pics too! Post some please... Also, confirm we are still getting a boy after the Dr. appt.!