Friday, October 17, 2008

Rainy Days



So this morning Beau and I were going to be driving to work separately, typically I fall out of bed around 5:45 and start off the morning getting ready for work, B usually rolls out around ten after 6 and we leave our house no later than 6:30 to go by our favorite little gas station pay $1.50 for 2 larges coffees and listen to our favorites (Jay, Al and Tony on THe Opening Drive) on the trek into Birmingham. But today was different. B had something certified at the post office that he needed and since they don't open until 8 I volunteered to drive in a little late so that I could retrieve this mail for him.
My morning started out awesome! B woke me around 6:30 (yep I got to sleep in!) to tell me he was leaving. So since I am an early riser and I was feeling wide-eyed and bushy tailed after my extra 45 min. of sleep I stumbled my way to our den. First I stopped by the kitchen and fixed a pot of coffee to enjoy as I listen to the rain and watch a little of the local news.




I did this for about 20 minutes and I began feeling kind of bored. Mainly because there are a million things at my house that I would have liked to have done but I knew I really didn't have the time since I still had to go to work!! So I called my mom, chatted for a few minutes and then went back to watching my favorite morning show, GMA. And then all of the sudden......KABOOM!!! the house goes pitch black and shook!! I honestly thought someone had hit my house, or something had crashed into it! And then the lights start coming back on but I notice they are extremely dim...so I set out to do a little investigating.
So I go out of the front door to see...





I am not even going to lie... I was scared to death!! And to top it off I could not get in touch with B so I was even more terrified! So I go out in the pouring rain to my precious neighbor Mr.Moore (he is in his late 70's and looks after us youngens!) I explained to Mr.Moore what happened and he assured me it would be fine. He also suggested that I go throughout the house and turn off the lights that have made their way back on. SO I did and I called Alabama Power and reported my situation. They put in a service call and so I waited... Actually, Chica and I both waited for the AL Power guy to get to our house. And waited, and waited, so I decided to take a few pictures of our front porch for those interested. And a few of what our little street looks like on a rainy day.










And a few more....





Then finally.....



What a relief! Mr.AL Power was very nice and not to mention, speedy! In approx. 45 minutes he had me up and running again. I stayed on the Front Porch for most of the time he was there mainly because I was curious as to how he would repair the line. I will be the first to admit that I was quite impressed. I also have an entirely new respect for the AL Power repairmen!! That has to incredibly dangerious!!

A few things to be thankful for:
* that I was home!! If not, we could have been facing a major problemo!! B and I have dinner plans in the Ham for 7 so we were not going to come home until after that which would have put us home around 10. With no power! And some major problems because apparently the neutralizing wire is what snapped that is why I still had some power but it would have most likely burnt all of our appliances, AC and not to mention ruined the fridge/freezer!
* that the limb did not fall on our cars or house!!
* that God has blessed me with such a wonderful group of neighbors, especially my Mr.Moore!! This is not the first pickle I have been in unfortunately!
* that the Lord TOTALLY had his hand in this and protected us and our home!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So - I'm at work now! shoot me! You are doing so good on your blog - I'm so proud. I love your "M" -- we have a "J" just like it! =) Also, love the few pics of Chica! Hope you are having a better morning today!
Loves!
tbj

Kelley Brown said...

Hey Whitney! I got your sweet comment. I am so glad to know you have a blog too so I can keep up better with you! Love your stories! :) Hope all is well with you.

Love,
Kelley